Tuesday, July 19, 2011

3 - No! No! No!

We made it across the night without another episode. He awoke the next morning his usual happy little self. I feed him. He burped. Normal.

After a quick bath, I dressed him and decided to drive to the nearby pharmacy to pick up my medicine. That short ride took forever. My eyes were shifting furiously between the road and my rearview baby monitoring mirror. All was fine.

Got him out of the car and entered the pharmacy. We were greeted with the all so familiar strangers commenting, "What a beautiful baby!" We made it to the back and picked up the mess and were headed for the door. Then he suddenly stiffened up and his head jerked back. I immediately held him tight and fell to my knees screaming, "No! No! God what is wrong with him! No!"

After several strong jerks. He was completely unconscious and his breathing was labored. Someone had called 9-1-1 and I could hear the siren at the door. They immediately preyed him from my arms and began checking his vital signs. A fireman was asking me questions. I could not speak and began to get light headed. He grabbed my arms and I took a deep breath, regained my composure and slowly answered what I could. We were whisked away to the adult hospital with a small children’s unit just two blocks away.

He was awake but very tired by the time we arrived at the ER. He was not happy with all the wires, beeps, sirens and noise. Almost every staff member had been called to come see this beautiful baby. Several said, "He looks perfect now Mom! Doesn’t look like anything’s wrong with this little fellow." I just wanted to strangle them.

Within an hour all the grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles and friends arrived and packed the tiny ER room. He had gotten fussy and very tired. After whipping his eyes a few times he just stared off. I said his name a few times...and then it happened again. The violent jerks sent adults gasping and running from the room in horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment