Tuesday, July 19, 2011

5 - Geriatric vs. Pediatric

My pediatrician, whom I had not seen or heard from in days, wanted to speak with me.  I took the phone at the nurse’s desk.  He asked what made me think I needed a neurologist.  I told him something is going on neurologically and I want it addressed immediately.  He stated that he was just about to request that one of the top gastroenterologist check in on my son.  I told him to request the neurologist instead. I had had enough and that I was not pleased with seeing every member of his group and not him.  He did not respond to my last statement and said that if I would hand the phone back to the nurse he would see about getting a neurologist to see him.
Several seizures later, the next morning a neurologist comes to check on my son.  I recognized the doctor immediately.  He was the neurologist for my grandmother who has Alzheimer’s!  He talks, I listen and say nothing.  He said that since my son appeared to be resting comfortably he would come back the next day during his rounds and check on him again.
Note: I forgot to mention that I never, ever, left my son’s unit during this hospitalization. Never!
Late that night, while my mind was racing, I remembered reading in the local paper that Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital had just brought on this top pediatric neuro team from Texas.  I decided that Le Bonheur was where my son needed to be.
The geriatric neurologist came back as he promised.  He said that my son looked really good. I did not explode, instead I just said, “I know you are an adult and geriatric neurologist. Are you a pediatric neurologist too?”  He said, “Well no, but the human brain , etc., etc.” (Because I stopped listening to him after he said he was not a pediatric neurologist.) 
I then said I want him to go to Le Bonheur an to be seen by pediatric neurologist.  He told me that it would probably be weeks before he could be put in a bed there because of the demand.  He hastily left the room stating he would talk with my pediatrician. I made some phone calls myself.   
Within hours, we were taken via ambulance to Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital.  My son suffered a two seizures while we were in route.  Shane was taken straight to the epilepsy monitoring floor.  He suffered another seizure while the electrodes were being placed on his head. 
His big beautiful curly looks could not be seen because his entire head was covered with a gauze helmet to keep him from pulling out the wires.  He was miserable.
This bed was a large metal crib.  They placed leather panels around it to keep him from hurting him self on the hard metal.  He couldn’t see out and got really upset.  My husband help me climb over into his crib.  I held him and fell fast asleep.
Hope comes in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment