Sunday, July 17, 2011

1- God's Gift

Shane entered the world at 8 lbs. 11 oz. on Wednesday, December 7, 2005. He was born on his due date! To say that his birth was highly anticipated would be an understatement. I was 38 years old and he was my miracle baby. He was not a product of fertility treatments or anything artificial. He was a product of a whole lot of prayer!

During his delivery, I was only able to dialate to 3cm and required an emergency cesarean.  I was told upon birth that all his vitals were fine.  He didn't cry much but he was very observant. His sugar was a little low, they gave him a little "sugar water" and then everything was fine. He was beautiful from the moment we laid eyes on him.  He even had deep purple lips...just like his grandmother.

We soon went home.  He slept and ate on schedule.  He was a great new born. He grew and cooed and flipped and responded right on schedule.  Motherhood...check...I had it all under control.

Just before Shane turned 4 months old, I felt an overwhelming desire to have him baptized.  I first had to decide on a church for us and join myself.  I chose the church that my father and his family had belonged to his whole life.  There were those who expressed displeasure with my "hasty" decision and felt that he should be allowed to choose for himself  when he was older. 

One day shy of turning 4 months old, on April 6, 2006, he was baptized.  Twenty days later, on April 26, 2006, he was rushed to the emergency room...he was slipping away...fast.